Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

Sequels, Remakes, and Reboots. Oh My!

I figured that my first real post to this blog (the initial post was merely an introduction) would be about something near and dear to my heart: Movies. I consider myself to be somewhat of a movie buff. I say “somewhat” for several reasons. First, it’s hard to be a “buff” when you don’t really reserve that much time to devote to that subject. Simply put, I have a full-time job during the day and a second full-time job with my kids when I come home from work. Movies simply take a back seat to my family life. There are very few movies that I need to see in the theater. Also, a real movie buff would know a ton about old movies and the history of cinema. While I do know my fair share about older movies, I haven’t really seen a ton of pre-1960  films. So, instead of calling myself a movie buff, I’ll settle for the moniker movie lover. 

What I do not love is an unoriginal idea. Unfortunately, Hollywood is full of unoriginality these days. There are way too many reboots and remakes and sequels and sequels of remakes (re-sequel anyone?). It kills me that Hollywood seems to be out of ideas (at least BIG Hollywood is). Just think of the highest grossing movies each of the last 8 years. Actually, don’t think about it, I’ll list them:

2003 Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
2004 Shrek 2
2005 Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
2006 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest
2007 Spiderman 3
2008 The Dark Knight
2009 Avatar
2010 Toy Story 3

So, if you are keeping score, 6 of the last 8 highest grossing movies of the year were sequels (2nds or 3rds in a series), and the other 2 (Pirates of the Caribbean and Avatar) spawned sequels. In the 20 years previous (1983 through 2002), only 3 of the highest grossing films were actual sequels (Return of the Jedi, Terminator 2, and The Phantom Menace) while 10 of the other movies on that list spawned sequels. Does that seem right? It doesn’t to me. It’s too easy to blame the big movie studios for putting out unoriginal movies because, obviously, sequels have been proven to be lucrative ventures. And I am not going to blame the movie-going public (even though it is their money that is going into these box office numbers).

Actually, I’m not going to throw around any blame. In fact, I didn't hate any of the movies listed above. They were all enjoyable movies and I understand movie studios are in it to make money (they are obviously very lucrative). I only wanted to bring these facts to light and to spread the word that there are tons of movies out there – not just the big blockbusters and especially not just the movie franchises. There are tons of films that stand on their own and don’t need a follow up or franchise to be great.  

So, if you get a chance, see a movie that is off the chart. That is, give a documentary a chance. Try out a movie that stands on its own and doesn’t have (or need a sequel). Give an independent movie a chance. You never know what you are going to like – or even love.

In a related note, I am looking forward to the the start of the awards season, which kicks off on Sunday with the Golden Globes Award show.
 

3 comments:

  1. Nice post. I have to agree though I am not a fan of all the remakes, sequals and reboots, etc. I hardly ever visit a movie theatre these days unless it is a kid movie on matinee time.


    Charles
    www.cccmysteryshopping.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. I'm sick of the remakes/reboots. Why is Hollywood running out of ideas? And the reboots are coming closer and closer together. Terminator, Spiderman and Hulk - didn't those movies just come out and now are getting rebooted? I don't want to count Batman because the first set of movies are totally different than The Dark Knight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian,
    If you're looking for a new idea, Adam Corolla has a few. Have you heard his newest pitch for "Guantanamo"? A mix of "Con Air", a dash of "The Rock" and a sprinkle of "A Few Good Men". I love it!

    ReplyDelete